Technical Information Alkyton Rust Protection
In the liquid-corrosion-inhibitor technology (LCI), a special system of integrated additives has been developed. These completely enclose the structures of the surface you want to paint and thus form a chemical connection. By this, the continuing oxidation stops and achieves a durable rust-protection. This rust protecting paint system combines 4 properties in 1 product:
- Rust protection
- Protecting coat.
the DUPLI-COLOR Alkyton forms an extremely flexible paint surface. It can be directly applied on grate (derust manually), steel, primer, wood and well-adhering old paintings. For indoor and outdoor applications.
For special surfaces, such as zinc, aluminium, stainless steel, iron metals or other smooth surfaces, we recommend to prime with DUPLI-COLOR Galvinol Zinc Primer.
Quality and properties
- Urethane-modified alkyd paint system
- Contains rust protecting pigments
- Free of lead and chromates
- High flexibility and resistance to shock by changing temperatures or deflection
- Generates a long continuing protection against weathering on the surface
- Available in many high gloss colours; black matt and 2 iron mica colours
Physical and chemical data
- Basis of the Binder: Alkyd resin
- Colour: diverse high gloss, resp. matt (black) resp. typical iron mica effect
- Smell: solvent
Theoretical: 10.3 m²/l at 55 µm dry: can vary depending on colour and condition of the ground
Practical: Practical coverage depends on many factors such as porosity and roughness of the substrate and material losses during application.
- Drying (at 20°C, 50% relative air humidity):
Dry to touch: after 2 hours
Dry to handle: after 8 hours
Re-coatable / cured: after 16 hours
Full hardness: 7 days
- Densitiy: High gloss/ matt: 1,07 kg/ l. ± 0.09 depending on colour
- Solids Content: High gloss/ matt: 54,6 % by volume ± 2,0 depending on colour
High gloss/ matt: 104 -108 KU/ Krebs Stormer Units at 20°C
Satin: 86 - 91 KU/ Krebs Stormer Units at 20 °C
- Temperature resistance:
up to 90°C (dry heat), at elevated temperatures discoloration may occur
- Recommended film thickness: 55 µm dry, equals 100 µm wet
- VOC-content: 477 g/ l max.
Category: A/ i
EU Limit values: 500 g/ l (2010)
- Storage stability:
5 years from date of production in unopen can, if stored in dry, well ventilated areas, not in direct sunlight at temperatures between 5° and 35°C.
- Disposal: Put only empty can into the recycling bin. Bring cans with remainders of paint to the special refuse disposal.
- Content: max. nominal volume = 250 ml or 750 ml
Environment and labelling
Environmentally compatible: MOTIP DUPLI is committed to apply formulations without restricted or critical ingredients and to achieve best possible performance. The caps and packagings are made of recyclable material.
Disposal: Please mind the residue inside the containers. Completely emptied containers can be used for recycling. If cans are not emptied, they should be disposed off as "special refuse".
Labelling: All products of MOTIP DUPLI comply with the current status of their labelling regulations. Classification and distinction takes place by the presently legal form of the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS) or rather by CLP 1272/2008/EG regulations. Our safety data sheets comply with the current form of REACH 1907/2006/EG, article 31 und appendix II,
Remove oil, grease and all other surface contaminations by alkaline or high pressure (steam), cleaning in combination with appropriate detergents. Remove rust scale, loose wood splints, loose rust and loose coatings. Use depending on necessity a wire brush, sand blasting or sand paper. The surface must be clean and dry during application. Galvanised, Zinc and Aluminium surfaces have to be primed with a DUPLI-COLOR GALVINOL zinc primer.
To ensure homogeneity, the lacquer should be thoroughly stirred prior to use. DUPLI-COLOR ALKYTON is intended for brush or roller application and can also be applied by compressed- air spraygun.
- Brush: Up to 10 vol. % synthetic thinner; use natural bristles, long hair brushes.
- Roller: Up to 10 vol % synthetic thinner; use short nap, polyamide (Perlon) 6 – 12 mm rollers. Roller application may require 2 coats to achieve recommended dry film thickness.
- Spraygun: 10 - 25 vol. %: synthetic thinner
Gravity cup and pressure cup. Tip size: 1,0 - 1,5 mm.
Atomising pressure: 2 - 4 bar.
Use synthetic thinner
Instructions for application:
- Temperature of air, substrate and coating material: between 5° and 35 °C
- Relaitve air humidity: below 85 %
- Substrate temperature: at least 3°C above dew point.
- Opitimal (maximal) layer thickness per layer: 55 (75) ) µm dry paint film; corresponds to 100 (135) ) µm wet paint film
Disclaimer of liability
This application-technological information is given to the best of our knowledge. The notes mentioned herein are, however, non-binding and do not exempt you from own tests to see whether the products supplied by us are suitable for your special application. The use and processing is beyond our control and therefore exclusively in the responsibility of the user. MOTIP DUPLI is let off the liability, unless the liability-based incident is caused by a fault incurred to MOTIP DUPLI.
For any further technical questions call our hotline +49 (0) 62 66 75-266 from Monday to Thursday from 9 h a.m. to 3 h p.m. or on Friday until 12 h p.m.
As of November 21, 2013
This release replaces all eventually earlier issued versions.